Thursday, June 10, 2010

Resumes for the Digital Age

Don't you just despise people who want to "fix" your resume? Who do they think they are!?

True story – About three years ago, while pursuing a graduate degree, I went to the Career Services office at my university. I wanted to see if they could help me improve my resume. During the meeting, the advisor tried to convince me to remove a patent (an invention) from my list of accomplishments. Here's how the conversation went:

Advisor: “You have to remove this part right here.” She said this very indignantly while pointing at the patent description.

Me: “Why? What do you mean I have to remove it? That’s probably one of the most interesting parts of my entire resume.”

Advisor: “I just don’t see the benefit of including such information”

Me: “Well, don’t you think it shows creativity, inventiveness, determination, follow-through…?”

Advisor: “Oh…” If I had to guess, I would say her facial expression was a combination of contempt (70%) and defeat (30%.) Then her eyes brightened again – another idea… “You should still remove it, because companies will think that you are pursuing a business opportunity with the patent. You know, they don’t want to invest in people who will likely leave them in the short run.”

Me: “Ehhhh – did you notice that the patent is nearly 17 years old? (I got it when I was 13). Don’t you think I would have had a chance to do something with it by now?”

Crazy, huh?

All this to tell you that even qualified people – with good intentions – may not be helpful to you. Seek all the advice you can to improve your resume, but be selective about the things that you actually apply.

I read an interesting article on Yahoo, which might appeal to you. If not, at least you read a new opinion.

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-resumes_for_the_digital_age-1297

No comments:

Post a Comment