Monday, November 28, 2011

How to beat the winter blahs


By: Lori McMullin, APR, Director of Business Operations & Communications

Center for Business Excellence

I guess I’m lucky. Winter doesn’t seem to bother me that much. There’s nothing I like better than to make a pot of homemade soup, turn on some great movies and get snuggly with my dogs, Rusty and Chase. Sounds like paradise!

Okay, okay...so I live in Florida. That doesn’t mean we are immune here to shortened daylight hours and a cold breeze every now and then.

In speaking with several people lately, I learned it’s the shortened days of sunshine that really get to them. Seasonal Affective Disorder (or SAD) is a common issue. Symptoms may include:

· Increased appetite with weight gain –we’re not talking the holiday fare munching

· Increased sleep and daytime sleepiness

· Less energy and ability to concentrate in the afternoon

· Loss of interest in work or other activities

· Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement

· Social withdrawal

· Unhappiness and irritability

Here’s a link to an article on how to cope with the winter blahs:

http://www.thegreenestdollar.com/2010/01/7-frugal-ways-to-beat-the-winter-blahs/

No comments:

Post a Comment