Monday, March 26, 2012

Are you hurting your career?


By: Lori McMullin, APR, Director of Business Operations & Communications

Center for Business Excellence


It’s that time of year when high schools and colleges matriculate our newest members of the workforce – an exciting and scary time for most.

For those of us who can now look into the “rear-view mirror” a bit, we often come to the realization of some bad moves we’ve made in the past.

For example, early in my career, I was working as a special events coordinator for a mid-size nonprofit organization and had an opportunity to interview for a communications manager position with a much larger agency.

The interview seemed to be going well – until I was asked when I would be available to start. Thinking I was showing enthusiasm, I replied, “Technically, I’m supposed to give my employer a month’s notice, but I can start earlier if you need me.”

The executive director quickly and curtly informed me that loyalty and honoring commitments was important to him and it should be for me as well. Needless to say, I did not get the job and lesson learned!

I found a link providing some sage advice to avoid damaging your career. This advice is good for anyone in the workforce. Read on:

http://career-services.monster.com/yahooarticle/11-ways-to-hurt-your-career#WT.mc_n=yta_fpt_article_11_ways_to_hurt_your_career

No comments:

Post a Comment