Friday, July 13, 2012

Office communication among various generations



By: Lori McMullin, APR
Director of Business Operations & Communications
Center for Business Excellence



This topic seems to be evergreen around my workplace and I’m sure it is in many other companies. 

Technology is phenomenal, however, it can often leave us even more out of touch, frustrated and confused.

In my role, I receive a ton of emails that need to be shared with a large amount of staff members.  While I have embraced texting and the like, it is currently much more efficient for me to email time-sensitive, action-required information to the masses.

I do not have time to text or call staff to alert them there is an email they need to look at, nor should I have to, in my opinion.  Does any of this sound familiar?

What I can promise is to continue to learn and embrace new technology as well as try to understand where our staff members are coming from in terms of their personalities and generational characteristics.

Here’s a link that explores the latter.  Hope you find it useful, or as my generation would say, “Happen’en.”

No comments:

Post a Comment