Wednesday, May 15, 2013

INVEST YOUR TIME

Posted by:  Darlene Duncan CWDP, JSS, CCC, JCTC, JCDC
                  Training Coordinator

A friend of mine recently told me how she came to have her current job. When you’re looking for a job we here at the One-Stop are very likely to suggest that you volunteer somewhere. A lot of people look at me like I’ve just grown a second head when I tell them they should volunteer. They tell me, “I’m not giving my time away for nothing. If I’m going to work I’m going to get paid for it.”

That attitude won’t help you find a job. However, volunteering your time may very well help you find that next position.

Here’s the condensed version of how it worked for my friend, who I’m going to call Kay. Kay was working part-time but wanted a full time office job. Her part time job was in a coffee shop. She started volunteering at a hospice facility working with the patients. However, some things in her life happened and she felt she was too emotional to continue working with the patients. She asked her supervisor if they could use her in some other capacity. Since she was a good worker and they didn’t want to lose her they granted her request and moved her into a volunteer office position. When a paid office position opened up she was offered the position.

Did her volunteer work get her the job she wanted overnight? No, it took her nine months to go from volunteer to paid position. But it was the reason she got the job she has today. She invested her time and it paid off for her.

So once again I’m suggesting that if you’re unemployed find somewhere to volunteer.
 
 

1 comment: