Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What is the, “Hire Florida Grads,” Initiative?



By: Lori McMullin, APR
Director of Business Operations & Communications
Center for Business Excellence

 

Wondering what the photo is about?  It’s me graduating from the University of Florida 23 years ago this month.  My grandmother, who didn’t have the luxury of Instagram and the like, took the photo and later wrote on some poor guy’s balding head, “Lori gets congrats from Bob Graham.”  Too funny!

Most of that day is a blur, but I do remember former Gov. and Sen. Bob Graham was our commencement speaker.  He quoted Jimmy Buffet in his speech, telling us we will all have, “changes in latitude, changes in attitude,” as we make our way into the work world.

I remember thinking, “I sure hope I don’t have to change my latitude!,” as I wanted to stay in Florida.

As I prepared for job search, I desperately wished for more resources.  Was my résumé good enough?  Was I networking in the right places?  I truly didn’t know.

After getting ripped off nearly to the tune of $1,000 by a questionable placement agency, I landed in a terrible first job experience.  Wasn’t there any no-cost resource out there that could enhance my chances of success?  Why did I work so hard the past four years in college for this?

Luckily, Florida’s newest college graduates do have a wonderful resource for career assistance through their local Workforce Development Boards and One-Stop Employment Centers – of which the Center for Business Excellence is one of them.

How do recent graduates find out about professional services in the part of Florida they are interested in living in?  It’s simple.

If you are a recent graduate, click this link to Hire Florida Grads  to connect with job search resources and hiring businesses.

Oh, and if you are a Flagler or Volusia County business interested in hiring a Florida graduate, please visit www.centerforbusinessexcellence.net or call (386) 323-7079 to link up with a business services representative who can help you make your next great hire.

If you are on Twitter, join the #HireFLGrads conversation or follow the Center for Business Excellence @CBEOneStop.

You can also check out the Center for Business Excellence on Facebook by clicking this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment