Monday, September 26, 2011

How to ask for what you want

By: Lori McMullin, APR, Director of Business Operations & Communications

Center for Business Excellence

It’s been a few weeks since my last blog post. My husband and I recently took our delayed honeymoon and my great blogging teammates pitched in to cover my spot. Thanks, guys!

Typically, my blog material comes from some type or real-life inspiration I’ve encountered during the previous week or so. Today’s post is no exception. See the accompanying photo? That’s me atop Upper Yosemite Falls about ready to keel.

My very active and fit husband had his heart set on hiking this particular trail and I thought I could handle it pretty well based on the fact I spin three to four times a week. Wrong!

After hours of slipping, sliding and falling (and encountering a rattlesnake), I really couldn’t wait to get back on the ground, hopefully, in one piece. By the way, you apparently really do need to invest in hiking shoes! Oh, well!

Although I’m glad I persevered for nearly seven hours to the top and down, it wasn’t until we got back I realized I should have spoken my mind about what I’d like to do on our trip as well.

A romantic dinner by candlelight or nature stroll hand-in-hand would have pleased me to no end. Even sitting for a bit in the night air and enjoying the silence and tranquility would have been more my speed to help unwind and relax.

We expect our fellow human beings to be intuitive, but that’s not always going to happen. Sometimes, we must ask for what we want or say what we think.

This is especially true in the workplace. I found a link about how to ask for what you want at work I thought I’d share:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christine-hassler/how-to-ask-for-what-you-w_b_261653.html

No comments:

Post a Comment