Monday, December 19, 2011

How to handle rude behavior


By: Lori McMullin, APR, Director of Business Operations & Communications

Center for Business Excellence

My recent blog posts have included tips on networking and the like. So, what happens if you put yourself out there only to be met with unwarranted and uncouth behavior?

How bizarre, how bizarre! I recently took a trip into what I’d like to think was just the “twilight zone,” – a one-off, perhaps.

Now, I’m clearly far from perfect, but I generally try to make people feel welcome in my company. So, when I felt as if I entered my own “roast” from the moment I picked up my name tag at recent holiday function, I was knocked off of my axis a bit. Kind of felt as welcome as Larry David in a, “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” episode!

I asked myself, “Do I return the barbs in a witty way? Do I get up and just leave? I always wanted to knock over a table full of dishes!” These are things I typically don’t have to think about.

The ironic thing is I truly believe these folks had no idea how they sounded and would probably be mortified if they thought about it.

Well, I found a link to tips on how to handle such situations. Apparently, I did many things right and wished I had done many others.

Guess that’s what life is all about!

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/how-to-deal-with-rude-behavior-6681.html

No comments:

Post a Comment