Monday, February 4, 2013

Caught in a bad office romance…is it really a good Idea to go gaga over someone you work with?


 
 
By: Lori McMullin, APR
Director of Business Operations & Communications
Center for Business Excellence

 

Office romance or, at the very least, flirting.  Is it a good idea? Since Valentine’s Day is around the corner, we might as well explore the subject.

I have a little insight and experience with this topic – emphasis on a little.  Very early in my work history, I dated someone I worked with for a brief time.  We were both single, so no worries, right? 
 
No worries until the romance went sour.  It was awkward and painful to work together after that.  So, I’m not a huge advocate of office romance.

However, I am a realist.  It seems we spend more of our waking hours at work these days than anywhere else.  Plus, the advent of smartphones and other technology keep us plugged in 24/7.  It’s difficult to separate our personal lives from our professional lives.

 Now, for the irony. My husband is the person I had the workplace relationship with.  We reunited and married 25 years later! 

I found this link  with advice on the subject.  In any case, I strongly advise people to fully understand specific company policy on office relationships before moving forward.  Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. One of my worst nightmares was realized, when I went to work years later for someone with whom I was once romantically involved. Our relationship had gone sour years ago. When he claimed to hire me for the sake of our grandchildren, the work environment became awkward and stressful. He was as mean and offensive as he had been during our earlier relationship. So, I am definitely not a huge advocate of office romance. Take my advice and steer clear.

    ReplyDelete