Monday, February 18, 2013

Dance with the one that “brung ya”…saluting our mentors


 
By: Lori McMullin, APR
Director of Business Operations & Communications
Center for Business Excellence


I belong to a professional organization that gives out several annual awards.  One has been informally dubbed the, “Dance with the one that Brung Ya,” award as the majority of recipients pay homage to those who made their careers possible.

I’ve been fortunate to have several people in my corner over the years helping me stretch and grow personally and professionally.

One, I encountered early in my career at an economic education-based nonprofit organization in Jacksonville.  She was our president. 

I have to be honest; she scared the living daylights out of me for the first year or so.  Then, one day, after watching me put my heart and soul into my job, she decided to take me under her wing.

My mentor taught me such valuable things as how to present to all levels of corporate authority (mind you, this was way before PowerPoint).  She taught me negotiating tactics and how to be a professional business woman without appearing too rigid or getting by on charm. 
 
Thinking on your feet was another skill she helped me with.  One time, we were hosting a big appreciation event after a successful fundraiser where hundreds of guests were eagerly awaiting the drawing for a cruise. 

Just as my mentor was about to take the microphone to announce the winner, a staff member came rushing up to her and told her the ticket collection basket was messed up. 

I quickly grabbed the microphone and had the band start playing, “Whoomp There it is.”  As hoped, the crowd went wild and rushed to the dance floor, giving us enough time to sort out the issue.  Believe it or not, I got a promotion and pay raise shortly after that! But I digress.

Enough about my mentor. I found this link to an article on other mentor stories.  Check it out, and then share your story with us!

1 comment:

  1. I found my mentor as I was trying to find someone to replace me. I am a leader of a single mom support group and I was feeling severely inadequate (as many leaders do, I’m learning). I found a sharp, organized, seasoned lady who I thought would be a great leader. I wanted to hand her the group and the responsibility while I bowed out gracefully without leaving the group high and dry. I had my sales pitch planned, I took her to lunch, and I outlined all the reasons why I was unqualified to lead. She listened politely, let me vent and answered in her caring, wise way: “baby, I don’t want your group; but I will help you until you feel confident enough to lead it alone”. It wasn’t the answer I wanted, but I felt much better having someone with qualities that I thought necessary, willing to be on my team. She wanted nothing in return except to know that I succeeded. I sigh in relief as I think about her dedication to someone else’s vision. If I’m feeling overwhelmed or if my motives are off, she gently corrects me, while fully understanding me. Mentors are WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete