Monday, March 28, 2011

Making good on your promises...honoring commitments says a lot about your character

By: Lori Stone, APR, Director of Business Operations & Communications

Center for Business Excellence

Delivering on promises made is important to me. If I find out something isn’t possible in the manner which I thought, I try to find a solution. When all else fails, I communicate what’s happening to the people involved so they don’t feel like they are in the dark.

So, when I found myself forgetting to be somewhere this week to show support, despite writing it down and having my Smartphone tell me (along with three other meeting reminders chiming simultaneously), I felt pretty terrible.

I owned up to what had happened (luckily, everything turned out just fine) and life will go on. That’s what you should do.

However, many folks make commitments to return phone calls, attend a party where the host has shelled out money for their food and beverage, etc., and just decide, “Oh, well…no biggie.” The next time they run into the person they made some type of a commitment to, they act like nothing ever happened. Not cool.

Here’s an article I found on the subject of honoring commitments. Hope you find it enlightening:

http://www.blogher.com/do-you-honor-your-commitments

No comments:

Post a Comment