Monday, March 21, 2011

The power of nice

By: Lori Stone, APR, Director of Business Operations & Communications

Center for Business Excellence

A few years ago, one of the CBE directors came across a book entitled, “The Power of Nice ... How to Conquer the Business World with Kindness. The title alone intrigued me.

Sometimes, I take out the CD version and take a listen to remind myself to “take it down a notch or two.” Maybe, the paint guy at the home improvement store really didn’t mean to come off snarky Saturday, right?

Whether you fully buy into the concept or not, there are truly some interesting stories that make you think.

My Uncle Luke (really more a big brother than an uncle) recently shared with me something my late father often told him in all sincerity. Dad said, "You have to be nice to everyone you meet - even if it is not returned - because you never know what people are going through on the inside.” Now, I think that’s powerful stuff.

That said; check out this YouTube video link of the book’s two authors, Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval, discussing the concept of the book. The book and CD are available online. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yOkqXBZT1w

No comments:

Post a Comment