Tuesday, July 27, 2010

How To Stand Out (in a good way) In An Interview

My fellow blogger Christine recently talked about how the questions and answers at interviews are the same. If you’re bored, just think how boring it is for the interviewer. You know they are interviewing lots of people for the same position. They ask the same questions of each person interviewed. It’s mind numbing to hear basically the same answer from each person.

Consider the following scenario:
Interviewer: “Tell me a little bit about yourself.”
Interviewee: “I have 10 years experience as a supervisor of widget makers. I worked my way up from the assembly line. I know I have the experience and skills you’re looking for. My experience, skills and my eagerness to continually learn new things will be a great asset to your organization.”

While all of that may be true, it’s boring.

Now, let’s throw in a little creativity.
Interviewer: “Tell me a little bit about yourself.”
Interviewee: “I love to learn. As a matter of fact I recently learned that your organization is planning on releasing a new widget design next year. My experience and skills will be a great asset in assisting the existing team to gear up your local plant for production of this new design.”

Take a look at the creativity of this canine. His owner has gone to extraordinary lengths to keep the dog inside the fenced yard. However… Well, just watch and you’ll see what I mean.



No comments:

Post a Comment