Friday, October 8, 2010

A job is created


"A job is created when the skills of a worker
meets
the needs of an employer"

"skills and needs"
"Supply and Demand"



Caroline Baum


I recently read this quote in a very well respected business periodical. As an individual that works with employers and jobseekers on a daily basis I, like most people, follow the logic that a job opening is created by a business/employer when they have a need for a service. I never thought that many times an individual has the capacity to create a job for themselves by simply pointing out to a business/employer the reasons as to why that business/employer’s organization is lacking and therefore needs the particular skills that the individual possesses.

This line of thought leads me to the point of this posting. If you are reading this, look in the mirror, ask yourself; do I have the type of skills that allows me to make the case to a business/employer as to why that employer needs my particular skills? Could I, by way of the skills I possess, make the case to a business/employer to hire me? Are my current skills dated or ubiquitous? Are my particular skills somewhat unique and therefore valuable?

Mirror man Photo www.designboom.com
By Ted Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment