Monday, May 9, 2011

I am human and I need to be loved…just like everybody else does

By: Lori Stone, APR, Director of Business Operations & Communications

Center for Business Excellence


As you can tell from this blog's title, I love 80’s “first wave” music and, of course, The Smiths. These lyrics pop in my head from time to time when I’m trying to remain strong in every aspect of my life, but wish at that moment the leaning on me wasn’t so pressing.

Not a pity party and, by all means, don’t break out the tiny violins! I’m just being honest. Sound familiar?

Dr. Leo Busgaglia once said, “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” I think this applies to those on the front line as well as in leadership roles. There is no one so self-sufficient and stoic that they don’t need a little compassion every now and then – unless, perhaps, they are a robot!

I found an interesting article about compassion for coworkers, but it could really apply to family members, friends and about any other type of relationship you have with another human being. Cool? See for yourself:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/grammar/style-and-usage/encouraging-words-for-co-workers.html

No comments:

Post a Comment